Author Topic: The map as it is now.  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
The map as it is now.
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »
I'm sure at least some of you have seen the map recently (the LONG path going down and around the map). I just want to say that we should consider going and filling in the non-explored area in case there is going to be a change in land generation in 1.2. From what I have seen there is no official change, but any bug fix could cause changes in land generation, which would there lead to very ugly chunks as we had when we updated to 1.0 (when we were seriously considering changing the map).
If you need anything Minecraft (server) related. Ask this guy.

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
Re: The map as it is now.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
The map is currently around 600mb, plus two backups. one daily, and one weekly. it's up to you guys what you want to do, but This map should probably start being filled, and less explored. Look at it. It's already huge.
I am the admin. That is all.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
Well, that surrounded unexplored bit is going to be explored anyhow, because of the already explored surrounding area. But I vote that we set a new rule, at least for now, to no more exploring of new lands because of shear size (of the map and the save file). There is PLENTY of land for people to explore and use as it is.

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:37 am »
Cant we lock the size, with just enough to fill those spots?  of coarse.. whoever made the anomoly wouldnt have access to the spot most likely because the restriction.. and I hate to say this.. but 600 MB is nothing..  even with 100 backups your only looking at 60GB

and please use the proper mb vs MB terminology, because im 99% sure you dont mean Millibits (instead of Megabytes)

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:29 am »
I think that would require a pug-in, and those usually require Bukkit, which is what we want to avoid (very slow updates). I wonder i there is a mod that can do this, but run alone.

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:37:44 am »
Sure 60gb's isn't much. But I only have a 30 GB hard drive for my server. Remember I use to have 140 GB, but since my physical Server got kicked out of the server farm. I had to settle for 30. And I don't know if you've every tried to increase the size of a Ubuntu partition. NOT FUN.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »
You don't need to keep that many backups. You can keep just a couple going back a week or two. We/you don't need any other ones. We need need to be able to roll back a couple days if something goes horribly wrong, nothing else.

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
I have two. Which I think is more than enough. But how much larger is the map going to get?

Offline MrAndy

• Minecraft Admins
  • You must be new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:54:05 pm »
With the new jungle coming. I could imagine quite a bit bigger. I know i'll rush out to find the jungle.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
He is right, the new jungle biome is REALLY REALLY cool! So, we can do1 of 2 things.

1. Wait on exploring the enclosed, en unexplored area, and really risk having chunk errors all along that path.
2. Explore that are to prevent chunk errors, and then explore more for the new biome when it comes out.

The map generation will surely be changed because of the new biome, so chunk errors can. and most likely will happen. We also cannot start a new map yet. I have a HUGE project in the works for people when 1.2 comes out, or very soon after. I have also seen quite a bit of new work being done (new projects) by people that would be wasted. Many people will get discouraged because of the loss and might stop playing (as it happened for 1.8). Also, starting a new map, also gives people the perfect opportunity for them to switch over to a different server, since they have to start all over anyhow.

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:37 pm »
If all else fails, we can always have someone transfer peoples stuff in an editing program.

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »
How about this:

1. Each person chooses one building (really active players can choose two or three) to transfer over to a new server.  They also keep their inventory and chests.
2. We gen a new world at 1.2.  We do a bit of exploration, and then people tell us where to plop down their buildings.
3. We worldedit it in
4. EVERYONE WINS

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:58 pm »
I would be down for that. Now I can see a lot of problems with this. I don't want to loose players by moving to a new map. We could.... now this is a long shot. Keep the current map, and areas, and then go through and delete the uninhabited area, and let it regen properly. This would not eliminate chunk errors, but it would decrease the size of the map. I will do whatever people want here. If you want to keep the map the way it is, than by all means do it.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »
Morgan - That sounds like a lot of work. Also, I feel like one building does not cut, maybe if we did an entire project. I just want 2 things, my island, and my nether project, and those are quite huge, with the nether project being much larger. If everyone chooses their project we will have quite a bit of work. We will also have to re-build the nether transport system, along with AGOA City.

Greg - I like this idea, It sounds like a bit of work, but I think it will be worth it. We can also, actually, eliminate some of the chunk errors we have now in the process. Then when the update comes out we will only have chunk errors along the edges, instead of mixed in all over the place. I would also gladly help with this.

I think Greg's suggestion is more viable for what we have right now, although I think if might be a good idea to switch away from this map in some other future update.

P.S. Greg, just a random though, out of curiously (not implying anything), but is it possible to run more then one world on the same server at the same time?

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:35 am »
I attached a picture of the current map with some marking I made on it.

After my scouring of the map, it looks like we can get rid of basically everything that is not included within the pentagonal shape in the general center of the map. There only things I found outside of that area are the 3 green boxes. The very bottom green marker is a place Johnny125 made, but I am also 100% certain I can convince him to give it up for the greater good of all that is AGOA. As for the other 2 marker, I have no idea. The one at the top of the map seems mostly empty. The last one, on the other hand, looks like a nice little place that we might need to keep (maybe we can copy paste it to another spot in the water somewhere if the owner really wants to keep it?).