Poll

Please read the post first! Should I, if needed, make this with a client-side installation?

Yes. I would gladly install it on my client to get to play this!
2 (40%)
Yes. But I will need help installing it, or an auto installer.
1 (20%)
Yes, but I'm not happy about installing a mod on the client end.
2 (40%)
No. But I would totally play if it does not require a client-end installation.
0 (0%)
No. Why are you making this stupid mod?! (I will cry guys... )
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: The private plugin for AGOA. POLL  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
The private plugin for AGOA. POLL
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:27 pm »
Forthose of you that are not yet familiar with the plugin I am working on,  please read this!

I have put this mod on hold for now. And this is to explain why.

I really, really, really want this mod to not require a client side installation. I want everyone to be able to log on with a vanilla client and be and to play. Currently this is possible with the SpoutcraftAPI (all other available API's require a client side installation, or you die/crash). This API however, will be obsolesce soon. Not in the sense that something better is coming by (which kinda, maybe could be), but in the sense that it is being abandoned.

SpoutcraftAPI currently works as an extension of the BukkitAPI. You install it with Bukkit and it provides a lot of new hooks and functions that make great things possible. The creators of this API however want it to be more that that. Their new project will be, and is, like Bukkit (you can have a Bukkit server, and now you can also have a Spout server). It is an alternative for Bukkit, and it is planned that it will no longer be updated starting this new upcoming year.

This means that the mod would most likely not work after this API stops being updated, which means that we would only have for a very short period of time and a lot of wasted work, effort, and time on my part.

There is good news however. The ModdingAPI for Minecraft (codename: Workbench) is supposed to come out with the Halloween update. Now, I am hoping that  this API will have the needed hooks and functions needed for this mod/plugin. I am hoping for the best.

Unfortunately, it is quite likely that it will not be possible to create a plugin for the server that does not require a client-side installation. Now, I am very exited about making this plugin for us. I would gladly do it. But I need to know if you guys are willing to have  plugin that requires a client-side installation.
- If you guys do not want this, I will not make it. I will not spend countless hours making something that we do not want. I can take new suggestions for mods at that point.
- If you guys want me to still make this for us, it would require a few things for us. We will have to all install a quite small mod on our clients. If it is really that bit a pain, I can try working out an automatic installer. It would also require that we activate whitelist (as anyone without the mo installed will crash upon the client catching the first glimpse of a plugin item/block/entity). I can also add a part of the mod that check to see that people have it installed.

I am willing to do all the extra work required, I just want you all to vote and tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:16:09 pm by Mad Russian »
If you need anything Minecraft (server) related. Ask this guy.

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
Re: The private plugin for AGOA. POLL
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:50:13 pm »
I wont vote yet.  I say wait to find out more about the halloween update.  Work on the rendering and artwork in the meantime.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55:41 pm »
This vote is to see if I should make the plugin if the Halloween update is not helpful. Assume that the update will do no good for this plugin for this poll.

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:45:29 pm »
I dont know.. Im willing to install a plug in.. but will everyone else?  Will it turn out like squares?  (or whatever that game was call where you pvp after building for a set time limit.

I still cant bring myself to vote.. because Im willing to follow you into the abyss alone if I have to just to see it.. even if its for a few minutes.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:00:02 pm »
OK, so with this plugin, we would hopefully have a new map (I already have it, it's huge, balanced out for 4 nations, and has a number of special sites and features). You get to play the game as usual, the plugin/mod stuff is added on top more as end-game items, and to add incentive for nations to work together and compete with the other nations. I/we would have special events and competitions to keep the nations competing and defending their shrines.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:27:55 pm »
Ok, so I am picking this project back up as soon as the next update is out (so I can  see the impact the new API will have on modding). If you guys want I am open to new suggestions/changes to the plugin/mod plan I currently have. I need to know exactly what I am going to make (assuming you guys have suggestions) so I can plan accordingly and save as much time as I can while making this (I am very busy now-a-days, unfortunately).