Author Topic: New server  (Read 1228 times)

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
New server
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »
It's old news now, I have until the end of the summer to find a new home for my server. As it turns out, I am going to host as much as I can at my house, problem is.... I need to upgrade my server hardware to support x64 :P. I have been in the dark ages too much. I have a freaking datacenter now, I should be able to have some decent hardware to support the rest of my system and sites and services and goods and crap. For the sake of saving money and power, I use VMware and buy one big honkin server and host multiple servers on one. So I need to find a nice x64 one that will last me about five or so years until I upgrade.
I am the admin. That is all.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
Re: New server
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »
Cool story bro! Tell it again!

But seriously, cool stuff :D Tell us what you end up getting!
If you need anything Minecraft (server) related. Ask this guy.

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:12:03 am »
It's old news now, I have until the end of the summer to find a new home for my server. As it turns out, I am going to host as much as I can at my house, problem is.... I need to upgrade my server hardware to support x64 :P. I have been in the dark ages too much. I have a freaking datacenter now, I should be able to have some decent hardware to support the rest of my system and sites and services and goods and crap. For the sake of saving money and power, I use VMware and buy one big honkin server and host multiple servers on one. So I need to find a nice x64 one that will last me about five or so years until I upgrade.
Have you clicked on your own ad banners lately?  I keep seeing loads of hosting services.  One expecially to pay attention to was about Oregon Resident small businesses, and some sort of government stipend.

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:27 am »
You could do a fundraiser!  Maybe charge a small fee for entrance to the LAN party?

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:04:44 am »
You know, that is not actually that bad of an idea. But, maybe, instead of asking up front at the entrance, just ask people to 'donate' $5 bucks or something?

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »
You know, that is not actually that bad of an idea. But, maybe, instead of asking up front at the entrance, just ask people to 'donate' $5 bucks or something?
sell snack goodies with the known explanation for the Costco mass purchased mark up is to have all proceeds go to the new server.  Reserved seating space (padded chairs or something).

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:42:00 pm »
I bought a new server. That is all. I will also be setting up donate button on my site. Not that I'm asking for money, but we may be going solo here in a few months. To keep the Minecraft or TF2 server running, I'll need money. If my web hosting makes enough money I'll use that instead.
I am the admin. That is all.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
I will probably just hand you some money at the LAN party. Do you know about how much it will cost you to keep AGOA running?