Author Topic: Spawn lag and lights  (Read 1371 times)

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
Spawn lag and lights
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »
I have fixed it so mobs don't spawn in the spawn. Now I am remove a lot of torches so it prevents any lag as possible, so please don't replace them. I think with all the lights on, we don't need many torches now. Thanks
I am the admin. That is all.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
Re: Spawn lag and lights
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »
Holy mother of no more torch spamming! I was actually going to do that next time I got on, so cool! This also means I can do epic lighting everywhere :D (you know, darker creepy rooms and what-not)
If you need anything Minecraft (server) related. Ask this guy.

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:57 am »
With the lighting, Konnerbraap and I wanted to do a thing where we make lights pop out of the ground. We're still working on it, but I hope it will be cool.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »
That would cause more lag thought... all them pistons :/

Offline gbrewster

• AGOA admin
  • Administrator
  • Black and Yellow
    • View Profile
    • AGOA!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »
But I am wondering, if the circuit is off, it won't lag as much, only when the lights turn on. When the pistons come up, the light turns on. And when the circuit is broken, the lights retract into the ground and shut off. I don't know.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:27:40 pm »
It would cause quite some lag when the lights go on or off. Lots of lighting updates, redstone updates, and piston block updates going on. Except for when the lights are changing, server performance will be about the same.

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:17 pm »
With the lighting, Konnerbraap and I wanted to do a thing where we make lights pop out of the ground. We're still working on it, but I hope it will be cool.

Wont work with Lamps, have to use glowstone.  Unless you use a quadruple up then side piston configuration, so the torch that activates the lamp will not affect the piston.
A great example of what Vadim and I did was sand on glowstone, double sticky piston stacks for the entry to the underground hidden tomb.

Torches cause very little lag, same with glowstone.  Its the lamps that cause lag.  A very good way to tell is when you are no where near the city and night falls, there is a burst of lag.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:10 pm »
There is no way you can use redstone lamps for the light pillars along the streets it is impossible without making either HUGE fixtures surrounds the lamps (basically a wall) or having very ugly visible redstone.

Redstone lamps are possible for the light in the middle of the streets. It is actually not that hard. I can make you a very compact version. But, it is really not worth the trouble at all. If you want to do some redstone project, I would suggest going for something else. This is, in my opinion, mostly a waste of time, a ton of work for very little benefit, and a lot of lag and horrendous noise when all those pistons go off. Noise is the reason I did not use pistons in the first place. Can you imagine the headache you would get from hearing 3 pistons fire for every single lamps along the center of the streets?

Offline Denovin

• Minecraft Admins
  • Anáil nathrach orth bhais betha, do cheol déanta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:44 pm »
There is no way you can use redstone lamps for the light pillars along the streets it is impossible without making either HUGE fixtures surrounds the lamps (basically a wall) or having very ugly visible redstone.

Redstone lamps are possible for the light in the middle of the streets. It is actually not that hard. I can make you a very compact version. But, it is really not worth the trouble at all. If you want to do some redstone project, I would suggest going for something else. This is, in my opinion, mostly a waste of time, a ton of work for very little benefit, and a lot of lag and horrendous noise when all those pistons go off. Noise is the reason I did not use pistons in the first place. Can you imagine the headache you would get from hearing 3 pistons fire for every single lamps along the center of the streets?
Just 'READ'ing it is enough!  (c:  HAR HAR HAR

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:46:51 pm »
Yea... that noise would be horrific. 0_0