Author Topic: Mornington Crescent  (Read 1408 times)

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
Mornington Crescent
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »
I'll assume that you're all familiar with the rules. 

Here's a map for reference.

I'll start at Wimbledon and move to Southwark, which I believe to be a fairly conservative opening move.  I worry that it might be too cautious, as it's not taking much territory and lends itself to certain opening moves that would cut off my chances of getting an early lead despite my choice of first move, but it's not opening me up to attack from the north which is what I'm trying to avoid at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:17:10 pm by frogman »

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
Re: Mornington Crescent
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:37 pm »
I will go fora full frontal attack and move from Brixton, my starting location, to Victoria in order to intercept/counter your move to Southwark. The smaller distance of travel allows me to negate your own move, forcing you to end your move at Sloane Square.  This move also hands me temporary control of Mid-South.
If you need anything Minecraft (server) related. Ask this guy.

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:47:52 pm »
That doesn't work, because I started at Wimbledon and that gives me The Queen's Advantage.  Of course, even though I finish my move I lose a turn, unless I want to move to South Acton or Acton Central, which are horrid early-game positions (some theorists, most notably Henry Strauss Whitaker, even see it as a negative until the first pass at Mornington Crescent).

That makes it your turn if we're using the Cambridge variation; however, I think we're using the Tyson-Smith 2004 variation which means that we need to wait until at least one other person makes a move.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:49:45 pm by frogman »

Offline Autocolt

• You must be new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »
Start at richmand, move to earls court. I did this to give me nearly full mobility around zone 1 and to give the option of a round about, and the best thing, the option to block vadim in a future move.o and i was able to pick up 4 dragoons, and take over a Bastion in the southern starting strip.  :P

;D FOR CANADA!!  ;D

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
Shit, the famous Richmond opening.  I didn't expect you to go for the lower dragoon count early on in order to gain that mobility - that gives you an impressive early-game advantage.  If you can keep that momentum, then you might even be able to hit Mornington Crescent before the 10th round.

I mean, as long as the rest of us play crappily.  WHICH WE WON'T

Vadim, I believe it's your turn.  There is the threat of blockage from Autocolt but I think you might be able to sidestep that... I won't say how in case you haven't already noticed it.  Hint: it contains three train shifts, all in the same move.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »
Oh ho Colten! Come at me bro! You obviously forgot about the historically infamous move to Notting Hill Gate back from the 1970's (this is what you where thinking of Morgan, was it not?). This not only allows me to sidestep your blockade but it provides me 2 dragoons of my own. True, you have 4, and a Bastion, but this is a strategy game, is it not? This move also temporarily stops your (Colten) movement to the west. Unfortunately, this move also removes my blockade on Morgan, allowing him to make his move after all (my blockade on him is no longer valid).

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:50:29 pm »
Um... I think Oxford Circus is the best move here.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:25 am »
Is that your move?

Offline frogman

• Administrator
  • Yes, this is frog
    • View Profile
    • AGOA Game
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:19 am »
Yeah.

Offline Mad Russian

• Minecraft Admin
  • Minecraft Admins
    • View Profile
    • Building Projects
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »
I must say, very interesting maneuver there my good sir! Fortunately for you, Colten is a bigger threat at the moment. I move to Paddington. By making this move a acquire reinforced armoring for my minions, which gives by 130% normal defensive stats. Come at me bros :D